Monday, July 2, 2007

thanks to a friend I haven't spoken in ages but continue to get bits of deep perspectives that make me stop for a moment - asha. here's what she sent me today.

"....In simple terms, what does karma mean? It means that whatever we do, with our body, speech, or mind, will have a corresponding result. Each action, even the smallest, is pregnant with its consequences. Even a little poison can cause death and even a tiny seed can become a huge tree.

....As Buddha said, "What you are is what you have been, what you will be is what you do now."

The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying. Page 96.
Sogyal Rinpoche

4 Comments:

  1. Renuka Raj said...
    What you are is what you have been, what you will be is what you do now....

    I like that...

    If I'm a jerk now, it's the result of my past karma and I am not directly responsible for it.

    And if I can be a full fledged jerk this time round, would it bother me if I were to be born as a housefly next time round?

    Life's not that simple!!!

    Buddha's principles are only meant for the discerning and discernment could well be a result of Karma!!!
    misch said...
    lol! i personally took it as a projection of the present. our actions of today prepared a future with consequences. because of which, we are already there. it isn't negated because we didn't imagine the consequences. because it's there we have already been there.
    Renuka Raj said...
    You're right. That's exactly what my last sentence implies. To understand our life as our karma needs a level of discernment. Our education system doesn't allow for that. So, spiritual growth is often left for a later date by us... which means introspection is the pastime of geriatrics! To think of a larger reality than what is with us is probably the first step that such discernment brings to us. The second step could be forgiveness...
    misch said...
    ah forgiveness... now that's the most difficult part. i know only vengeance!

Post a Comment